Foreign policy is a planned course of action designed and adopted by a country towards the international community with the aim of achieving certain national objectives.
The African continent has always been the centre point of Nigerian foreign policy. It means Nigeria always identifies with Africa and defends her interests. This African centred foreign policy is based on the following:
1) Non-interference in internal matters of other African countries
2) Sovereign equality of all African states
3) Promotion of African unity
4) Eradication of racism and colonialism in Africa
AIMS OF NIGERIA’S FOREIGN POLICY
1) Promotion of peace in Africa and West African
2) Defence, justice and upholding human rights
3) Non alignment during the cold war era
5) Promotion of national interest.