This is voluntary involvement of the people in political activities of the state. Individuals participate in politics for several reasons like:
– Economic and material gains
– To right the wrongs of those in power
– As a status symbol or influence
– To partake in the decision making process
FORMS OF POLITICAL PARTICIPATION
1) Contesting elections
2) Holding public offices
3) Belonging to political parties
4) Election observation
5) Voting during elections
6) Acting as polling agents.
This refers to the degree to which citizens show no interest in the political activities of their country. It is opposite of political participation.
FACTORS CAUSING POLITICAL APATHY
1) Religious constraints
2) Racial and tribal discrimination
4) Sexual discrimination
Political apathy can be reduced by:
1) Encouraging rule of law
2) Independent judiciary
3) Equal political opportunity
4) Multi-party system
5) Adequate political education.